Your pet may experience difficulty walking and staying active – get the proper check as it could be arthritis. Dog arthritis is more common in older and bigger animals. When the hip and joints become weak and lead to chronic pain in animals, it is the first sign of arthritis.
When human beings turn older the joints and muscles become stiff – it is the same for animals. It is always better to get proper understanding of the condition to start the right treatment.
Arthritis is a term from ‘altho’, which means joints, and ‘itis’ means inflammation. Arthritis is a bone degeneration condition when the joints turn stiff and inflamed. The disease slowly affects the muscles, tendons, cartilages, and ligaments supporting bones and joints.
Osteoarthritis is the term for the critical condition is dog bone issue. Your dog may suffer from chronic pain in the hips, shoulder, knees, and other joints. Some common symptoms look for swelling, skin color changes, limping during movement, and crying in pain.
Check for health supplements with natural food.
You can seek medical care for your quadruped friend and combine it with the best dog food for hip and joint. You can start by giving over-the-counter medication to relieve the pain. However, proper food is the ideal solution for a more extended period. Check with your veterinarian to add supplements to your dog food.
Dog food rich in Glucosamine and Chondroitin is the best for joint and hip degeneration. The combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin supports healthy hip and joint functionalities. You can check for dog treats that include extracts of crab, lobsters, and shrimp shells to improve the dog cartilages. Your dog can enjoy better mobility and improve activities on continuous intake of these ingredients.
Here is the guide to choosing the best senior dog food for arthritis:
- Sweet potatoes – Sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene thus, supporting the bones and muscles. It also contains amino acids that boost muscle activity and helps in fighting bone degradation.
- Fish oil – Get Omega-3 fatty, rich fish oil and introduce it to your dog meals. It is one of the best anti-inflammatories that increases joint mobility. You must take proper care in adding this to your dog food as it also increases the body weight. Do not mix cod liver oil as it is high in Vitamin A and D, which will affect the dog’s healthy body weight.
- Turmeric – One of the oldest anti-inflammatories is curcumin, and the primary source you can find in any Asian store is turmeric. The compound helps in reducing stiffness and eases chronic pain. It also contains enzymes that treat swelling.
- Ginger – Another miracle compound that brings relaxation to the stiff muscles and reduces pain. Lab tests prove that ginger contains gingerol that prevents further inflammation of the joints.
- Alfalfa – The main ingredient of Alfalfa prevents cellular damage of muscles and joints. It is rich in protein, nutrients, and vitamins; therefore, it will support your dog’s healthy hip and joints.
More to add
You can also treat your dog with simple, fresh fruit and veggies bits – chunks of papaya, blueberries, celery, and coconut are the best alternative to high medication.